John W. Stewart, known to family and friends as Jack, was a lifetime resident of Lincoln and practiced law here for 42 years. Jack played an active role in community organizations, serving at various times as chairman of the governing boards of Nebraska Wesleyan University, Bryan Memorial Hospital, Lancaster County Red Cross, United Way, Lincoln Bar Association and Saint Paul United Methodist Church, and on the national board of governors of the American Red Cross.
Jack was awarded the Combat Infantryman medal, Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart serving as a infantry rifle platoon leader in Europe during World War II. After retiring from law practice in 1988, he wrote a book about his World War II experiences, including those as a POW. Jack was a mentor, a lawyer, and a man of a generous heart. His kindness and genuine interest in other people's lives, his passion for reading and his good sense of humor made each meeting with Jack special.
Mattson, Ricketts, Davies, Stewart & Calkins, Partner, 1974-1988
Stewart, Stewart & Calkins, Partner, 1946-1973
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Juris Doctor, 1946
Lincoln High School, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1938
Wife: Josephine (Jo)
Children: Michael (Mack), John M. and Ann Lundy